The air we breathe should always be clean but in today’s polluted world, it never is, even at home.
Your home and office’s air is full of pollutants, pollens, mold, dust, germs and more and even volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which can cause cancer.
By investing in a smart air purifier (or two) you can help to ensure that the air you breathe is truly clean and the smart functionality will ensure you don’t waste energy purifying air when you don’t need it.
How We Chose The Best Smart Air Purifiers
There are, of course, a lot of different features in smart air purifiers but we wanted to focus on the things that mattered:
- Decent sized room coverage – you don’t want to spend a fortune on air purification and that means, a purifier should ensure that a decent sized room stays healthy without the need for extra purifiers
- Energy star certification – you certainly don’t want to use more energy than necessary to keep the air clean
- Smartphone app compatible – this is a “nice to have” feature which makes using a smart air purifier easy when it’s available, if you don’t need smart features – you can check out these awesome air purifiers too
- HEPA certified filter – the filter needs to actually clean the air and the HEPA standard is a great way to ensure that it does
LEVOIT Smart Wi-Fi Air Purifier Large Room
This LEVOIT air purifier will handle the largest of rooms such as a master bedroom or living room and in addition to smartphone control, you can also use voice commands if you pair it with Alexa or Google Home.
It runs very quietly too, so, even if you need to run it all night long, it won’t keep you awake.
Quick Fact: VeSync, the LEVOIT smartphone app makes setting up this system super easy, you set the timers, and it handles the rest and reports back on air quality on your phone!
1. Excellent smartphone app that makes using it super easy
2. Fully HEPA certified and Energy Star compliant – it’s 30% more efficient than most models
3. It’s easy to track the filter life and order new ones when you need them
1. The filters need regular replacement and they’re not cheap
2. It has some minor issues with Alexa and works better with Google Home Assistant
3. It needs regular dusting as it makes a bit of a mess
HATHASPACE Smart True HEPA Air Purifier for Home
The HATHASPACE air purifier works in most medium sized rooms and its HEPA filter is one of the best at removing cigarette smoke that we tested.
If you leave it in auto mode, it will monitor the air quality and if it thinks it needs to put in more effort, it will automatically adjust the fan speed to ensure that it keeps up.
Quick Fact: The HEPA filter in this air purifier is really powerful and it extracts 99.7% of all pollutants, dust, pet dander and pollen.
1. So good at handling cigarette smoke that it’s a must for smokers
2. The remote control is very easy to use
3. It’s got a small profile and looks good in any room
1. There’s no smartphone or Wi-Fi connectivity, so don’t lose that remote
2. The filters need replacing regularly and they’re not cheap
3. The air sensor seems to have some trouble at low power settings
Inofia 800 Sq Ft Air Purifier with True HEPA Air Filter
The Inofia air purifier can handle very large rooms and it’s got a superb HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter to offer even cleaner air!
We like the manual controls on the unit but most of the time, we’d use their smartphone app which works very well and makes using the air purifier very easy.
Quick Fact: This has one of the nicest LED displays that you’ll find on a smart air purifier and it’s easy to tell at a glance how polluted the air is and whether you need a new filter.
1. The automatic mode is super accurate and makes keeping pollution under control very simple
2. The filter replacement indicator is very useful and ensures you’re always efficient
3. The smartphone app is handy
1. Only offers support for 2.4G Wi-Fi
2. The replacement filters aren’t always easy to find in stores
3. The app isn’t as good as it could be and seems to struggle to update the air quality details
Germ Guardian Wi-Fi Bluetooth Smart Voice Control Air Purifier
This is an air purifier only suited to small rooms and the Germ Guardian is the best voice-controlled air purifier that we tested.
You will need to set it up with Google Home Assistant or Amazon’s Alexa to get the best out of the voice command system and it’s very much worth it.
Quick Fact: The five-year warranty on this air purifier is a class-leading warranty and it gives us confidence that the Germ Guardian will deliver high quality performance for a long time.
1. Fully Energy Star Certified
2. The Pet Pure Filtration is brilliant for getting rid of pet hair
3. Excellent voice controls that really make it easy to use
1. The app is a pain to set up
2. There’s no washable pre-filter included with this air purifier
3. It has no sleep mode and is a bit noisier than we’d like
TENDOMI WiFi Smart Air Purifier with True HEPA
This is also a small room certified air purifier and the TENDOMI Air Purifier is fully controlled from a smartphone app and has great Wi-Fi connectivity (as long as you use 2.4G, it doesn’t support 5G).
You can also connect this to a Google Home Assistant or Alexa for additional but minimal voice control.
It’s very portable and we paired ours with a portable air conditioner to cool down a small study space.
Quick Fact: This air purifier uses an unusual oscillation method which keeps it running back and forth over a 90 degree angle, this helps to ensure the whole room is served.
1. This is one of the most portable air purifiers we tested
2. It’s easy to track the life of the filters in the app
3. You can easily use the app to set timers and schedules
1. You must have 2.4G Wi-Fi or it won’t work
2. The filters aren’t the easiest to find when they need replacing
3. The power of the fan isn’t very impressive
Final Thoughts On Smart Air Purifiers
A smart air purifier makes a huge difference to the quality of the air that you breathe.
Given that pollution is estimated to cause tens of millions of early deaths around the world, it seems important to us to use a smart air purifier and all of these will ensure you feel better.
We’d also recommend that you pair them with a top quality ceiling fan to ensure that there’s good circulation of air in the room to make it easier to purify.